Monday, February 18, 2013

Cowboys and Pipe Dreams

A Happy Monday to Everyone!

And once again we will start this week out with:
 And a note about last week's block:
Please lodge any complaints to Dori @ The Red Feedsack.com

It's all her fault!
Did you count those pieces? 72!!

Okay so on to Cowboys and Pipe Dreams:

Our cattle ranch was in the middle of the desert.
Our house stood atop a man made hill,
and overlooked all the pastures almost on a 180 degree turn.

Out in those pastures, each week, us girls had to drive the tractor while 2 cowboys
picked the pipe up off the trailer we were hauling,
and lay it out in a straight line, hooking one pipe to the next.

If there was only one cowboy,
we let the tractor drive itself, us making corrections here and there,
and us young teenagers helped those strapping boys!

Now really,
how did Dad expect us not to get into trouble?

But for some reason, they flirted with us....but never went any further.
Hmmm....somehow the boss man must have put the fear of God in them.

I have a great story about my sister laying pipe for next week.
You all might say,  "shame on me"! But hey...fair is fair!

Cutting Instructions:
From White Print:
A Cut (4) 2 1/2" X 1 1/2" Rectangles
B Cut (2) 3 1/2" X 1 1/2" Rectangles
C Cut (4) 1 1/2" X 1 1/2" Squares
From the Red Print:
D Cut (2) 3 1/2" X 1 1/2" Rectangles
E Cut (4) 2 1/2" X 1 1/2" Rectangles
F Cut (4) 1 1/2" X 1 1/2" Squares
   
It's always a good idea to draft the block out for a key.

Here's a close-up of the block. I did it on a bigger grid for you this time:

Keeping it all organized....

Stitch B and D's together to create first and last row.

NOT like this:
(Where is my head this morning? Oh...that's right....I kept baby for Mama Tory over the weekend!)
Stitch A's to E's

Stitch F's To C's
And then stitch into 4 patches:

Stitch Center Row Pieces Together:

Stitch Rows Together:
Done!

Now did you count the pieces?

20

20!!

You have to love me again.

You just have to.

Remember Dori!

I cannot take responsibility for last week!

'Til Next Time!




11 comments:

  1. Love your red block, and your fun story too!
    Happy Monday,
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I can handle this one, John'aLee! And I love the glimpses into your growing up years. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Again, so pretty. :) OK - so what were the pipes for? Was it moving an irrigation line?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great looking block! Love the fabric choices too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. had an amazon voucher for Christmas so I bought Farmers Wife. The largest quilt needs extra blocks, so at some point I'll join you! Have too many 'half cooked' projects at the moment! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a nice block! I'm still too back logged to pick a new project up. Hope to work on this one soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great story. I would have been in trouble for sure. I really love the way the block went together with your fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ahh another block. :) I have some catching up to do. This week surely didn't help. We've had stomach flu around this house since Saturday. While Ryan is napping and I feeling better, I'm going to get to work. The new block looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really shouldn't start a new project, but I've been watching Janet O. do these blocks. Today when I clicked on her link to your blog, I realized that I have been hoarding several pieces of the fabric line you are using. Maybe it's time to cut into it. I love your blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've finally caught up!! can't wait for this weeks one! Is there somewhere to show off our blocks?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oops, ignore previous message--I found this!! These are lovely blocks (72, Dori's has 72--HST, oh my)

    ReplyDelete